New and revised publications from the University of Florida Insitute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
We at University of Florida want to provide you with a beginner-friendly yet science-based look at Florida’s bugs, with emphasis on the species that Florida residents and visitors often encounter. Some are Good Bugs. Some are Bad Bugs. And a whole lot are Bugly Bugs. Follow #UFBugs on Twitter, or vist the website at
- Peanut butter is a quick, easy, and popular sandwich choice that’s also healthful (in moderation). Use whole-grain bread, and add sliced banana, fruit preserves, or honey and a thin slice of Muenster, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella cheese to your child’s favorite peanut butter. (Tips for Nutritious School Lunches)
- Stuff celery sticks with peanut butter and top with raisins (Choosing Healthy Snacks Using MyPyramid)
- Instead of peanut butter and jelly, try peanut butter and sliced banana. Add a little honey for a sweeter sandwich. (Healthy Eating: Super Sandwiches)
- Banana & Peanut Butter Spread: Cream ½ cup peanut butter, add ¼ cup hot water or evaporated milk, and blend thoroughly. Add ¾ cup mashed ripe banana, and season with 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice. (South Florida Tropicals: Banana)
- Peanut Butter Banana Shake: blend 1 cup low-fat milk, 1 banana (fresh or frozen), 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract (Healthy Eating for Elders: Drink to Your Health)
January 24th, 2012
Peanuts have been one of the more profitable crops grown in the Coastal Plains of the southeastern U.S. for many years. For publications on peanut production in Florida, see Peanut Production topic page.
Peanuts can also be grown in your home garden: see Producing Peanuts for Home Use.
May 11th, 2011
Specific Vegetables A-Z [topic page]
Southern Chinch Bug Management on St. Augustinegrass (ENY-325/LH036)
Subterranean Termites (ENY-210/IG097)
Edible Tubers and Roots [topic page]
Formosan Subterranean Termite (ENY-216/MG064)
A Guide to Citrus Nutritional Deficiency and Toxicity Identification (HS-797/CH142)
Pineapple Growing in the Florida Home Landscape (HS7/MG055)
- EDIS Website - EDIS is the Electronic Data Information Source of UF/IFAS Extension, a collection of information on topics relevant to you.